Office of the Principal
Dear Bristol Elementary School families,
I want to share some back to school information with you as we all prepare to return to school on August 25th.
First Day of School Information
We are making some adjustments while our front entrance is still under construction. All students will be entering through the large ramp by our “D Wing.” Only students needing handicap access should enter through the “B Wing” door in our north parking lot.
Students can enter the building at 8:00 AM. Please plan your morning so that children do not arrive earlier than 8:00 since there will be no supervision at that time. We want everyone to be safe!
“Grab-and-go” Breakfasts will be available for all students to take to their classrooms. Breakfast and lunch will be free for all students this year.
Elementary students are very capable and we want to foster their independence. For the first three days of school we will allow K-6 parents to drop children off at their classroom as long as family members wear masks. Starting on Monday, August 30th, we will be asking all parents to drop students off when they enter the building. Of course, parents and guardians are always welcome to set up an appointment to meet with their child’s teacher.
Open House on October 13th
Please mark your calendars for our Open House on October 13th from 6:30 to 7:30 PM. While we will all need to wear masks, we are glad to bring this tradition back.
Superintendent Reen has been working with the Agency of Education to determine our COVID response for this school year. Here are the responses that pertain to elementary grade students:
- School will be open for in-person learning. There will be no virtual learning.
- Students and adults will be required to wear masks when indoors and on buses. Masks are not required when outdoors.
- Students or adults should stay home when they do not feel well or are in quarantine. Students will be sent home when they show symptoms of COVID-19 or have a temperature greater than 100.4°F.
- Our dedicated custodial staff will maintain their cleaning routines.
- Students will eat lunch in the cafeteria. Students will have assigned seats. Plexiglass will be used at tables to provide extra separation.
- Arrival and dismissal procedures will return to normal. Screening and temperature checks are no longer required.
- Playgrounds, the library and the gym will be open for instruction. P.E. classes will be outdoors whenever possible. Low impact activities are recommended when indoors.
- Classrooms will maintain distance for student seating to the greatest extent possible.
- Whole school assemblies can only take place outdoors. Open-Houses are allowed with everyone wearing masks.
- The public may use exterior school grounds. Outdoor recess space/playgrounds are open.
- Visitors/Volunteers are permitted and are expected to be masked for the duration of their time in the building.
I hope this letter answers some of the questions you might have had about the start of school. The BES staff and I are excited to see everyone next Wednesday!